Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Poetry Packet

Wong, Janet. “Behind the Wheel.” Behind the Wheel: Poems about Driving. New York: McElderry, 1999. 3.

I really enjoy this poem for a number of reasons. Janet Wong has an incredible ability to imply information and ideas in a very limited space. In only eleven lines, she is able to produce a philosophical metaphor comparing driving to life. I like how the first five lines of the poem set the stage for the rest of the poem. Wong then groups lines six through ten, which produces a climax effect for the eleventh line. I think the poem has a great flow from line six to the end. Since the lines are about equal length, I was able to really sink into the rhythm produced by Wong.


Soto, Gary. “Eyeglasses.” Cantos Familiar. New York: Harcourt Brace and Company, 1994. 14-17.

I thought this poem was hilarious. I’ve worn glasses all my life, and unfortunately have lost a few pair. This poem really captures the feelings and thoughts a child has when they lose something of value. I like the scenery Soto creates around this character. The rain, blurry trees, and empty bags all help to produce a realistic image of someone looking for their glasses. I also enjoy how Soto includes the image of the bird in the poem, and how it has the ability to escape (“soar away”) or to spot the glasses. The last three lines close the poem with an interesting play of perspective.


Marvell, Andrew. “To His Coy Mistress.” The Hudson Book of Poetry: 150 Poems Worth Reading. New York: McGraw Hill, 2002. 17.

I read this poem last year and really fell in love with it. It reminds me of some British man trying to seduce a young American woman who is not buying it. Marvell essentially breaks the poem into four sections, which tie into each other and creates a persuasive argument for why the two characters should be together. The imagery is also stunning in this poem. My favorite section is about “time’s winged chariot” (line 22-24). I also like how Marvell uses common everyday images to symbolize the topic of love. The last fifteen lines of the poem are written very crafty. Even though Marvell never mentions anything about sex, the reader can pick up the innuendo.


Shelley, Percy Bysshe. “Ozymandias.” The Hudson Book of Poetry: 150 Poems Worth Reading. New York: McGraw Hill, 2002. 33.

This was one of my favorite poems I read for an English class. “Ozymandias” is written in iambic pentameter, which I feel gives a definite beat and flow to the poem. I had a very enjoyable time reading through this poem, and I think this might be in part to me being a musician. Shelley’s ability to create a message about the futility of great works is incredible considering how challenging it is to write in iambic pentameter. When I was assigned an iambic pentameter assignment later in the year, I used this poem as a guide and reference to aid my writing.


Frost, Robert. “Mending Wall.” The Hudson Book of Poetry: 150 Poems Worth Reading. New York: McGraw Hill, 2002. 64-65.

This is another iambic pentameter poem that I really like because of its musical tone. I love the subject matter and how Frost creates tension in a peaceful situation. He also uses great imagery in describing the neighbor who is helping rebuild the wall. In the end, Frost makes a great point about blindly accepting the “universal truths” passed on by our elders. I also enjoy the humor Frost interjects in lines 36 and 37 about the elves. At first I felt these lines were out of place, but as I reread the poem I realized these lines offer a break in the tension before the poem closes on a serious note.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rachelenewman6@gmail.com my mentor... It's been way too long! Aren't you on facebook?