Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Reading Autobiography

Since I have the benefit of two teachers as parents, I started reading at a young age. I probably still love reading for the nostalgic feeling of me sitting in my mom’s lap listening to the multiple voices she used for the books we read together. When I started to read individually, I pursued fantasy and science fiction books (probably the result of having two Trekkies as parents). During middle school I continued to read for enjoyment, as well as academic purposes. It was during this period I started to read history and mythological books. I loved reading about ancient civilizations and the culture they developed. In high school, my personal reading time decreased as pressure from school mounted. During my first years in college I started to pick up reading again and immersed myself with books and trade articles about sound technology. In the last year I have switched to reading scores of short fiction articles and poetry. I also enjoy reading psychology and sociology books. I am currently reading The Best American Short Stories with Stephen King as the guest editor. I love the psychological tension in the stories he chose, plus they all have surprise endings that make you go, “Holy crap! I never saw that coming!”

2 comments:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Michael: man, Trekkies and teachers as parents! I'll be surprised if you don't know how to read in Vulcan, too. But what would a Vulcan consider sci-fi/fantasy when he/she reads? Stories that take place on earth maybe? Anyway, good reading autobiography.

JessJess said...

Learning about different cultures and practices will really broaden your mind to multiple perspectives in your own life. (Do you ever consider, or have you ever gone these places that you researched and actually involve your self with the people, that is one of my favorite things to do, really hits home.) And then to go into all these scientific readings, you will be man genius before you graduate! haha! Enjoy your suspense!